Researching Family History Sites for my Introduction to Family History class.
The records in the catalogue at the Family History Center in Salt Lake City (and I guess in other places around the world too!) are being photographed digitally! Perhaps someday they will be availible online.
Right when I pull up the familyhistory.byu.edu site, I see the scrolling information. Seems like they have a lot of cool projects. The Immigrant ancestors looks cool. Volunteers, scholars, and researchers are using emigration registers to locate information about the birthplaces of immigrants to create a database of millions of immigrants. That would be so cool to volunteer for that project!
They have a link for script tutorials, offering guidance to deciphering manuscripts and other old documents printed in old typeface or written in old handwriting, in various languages. That will be great help when for indexing!
There's also the Nauvoo Community Project, identifying residents of Nauvoo, Illinois from 1839 to 1846. Family History Students at BYU are attempting to document each resident from their birth to their death. Kinda cool.
I think it's very interesting that many resources previously availible at Brigham Young University are now availible on FamilySearch.org, like "The Family History Archives" on BYU is now availible under "Family History Books" at fs.o. I guess it does make sense though, since fs.o is put out by the Church.
Family History is pretty fun! I'm excited to start finding my ancestors. But I don't want to just find them and do their temple work, I want to learn their stories, events that happened in their life. I want to know them. I guess I should keep my own journal, if I expect my anncestors to. Perhaps I'll try again.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.